This video was crafted from June 2013 to July 2014 and shows the places that I have visited during this time.
I used a GoPro Hero 3 (actually on the sunrise only) and a 5d Mark III for the footage. There are static shots where the camera did not move at all. There are also some regular hyperlapse shots where I moved my tripod mounted camera step by step. Later I stabilized the footage in Blender.

Sometimes it is really hard to shoot a hyperlapse from a tripod, especially on crowded places like the Brooklyn Bridge or 5th Avenue in New York City :). I decided to shoot these freehand and align the images later in GIMP. I used this technique a few times, also on the ‘Columbus Circle Spin’ shot. Unfortunately I had only 2,5 days in New York :(.

There are also some faked hyperlapse shots. They were created by using a fisheye lens with 8mm focal length and 180° FOV. After some adjustments in Darktable the image sequence was mapped to the UVs of hemisphere in Blender. Within the hemisphere I placed a camera and added some motion to it. Voila.

I hope you enjoy watching ‘Points’ as much as I enjoyed creating it.

246 by Mike Templeton

Ubuntu Linux (Operating System)
Darktable (Developing RAWs and batch processing Images)
Blender (Stabilizing footage, editing, effects)
GIMP (Aligning images)


Is this true? Yes it is.

Somehow I have found a way to create bubbles in Blender with the fluid simulator and the Boolean modifier.  I do not know whether the devs have ever intended the Booleans for this purpose, but it works nicely :)

Watch yourself.


My Two Cents


Blender is a great software with a even greater community. I learned a lot from all the tutorials out there. I also would like to share my knowledge with you. Now here are my two cents.

In this tutorial I will guide through the workflow on setting up high three viscosity fluid simulations and put them together in a single scene in Blender. Like in this video:


Actually the Blender Elbeem fluid simulator is not able to simulate fluids with different densities. But it can be faked to a certain degree, so it will look like it would ;)

Get the start file here.


A New Blog Theme!

Hey there!

A few days ago I found a new theme for WordPress on themeid.com called Responsive. After watching the preview I decided to give it a try and switch from 2011-theme to this new one.

The biggest advantages of this new theme are:

  • It supports the Retina display
  • It has got a full responsive design. This means it automatically adjusts the size of the content according to the size of the browser window or display.
  • Mobile themes are not necessary anymore
  • Easy to modify
  • Very good support on the theme homepage
  • GPL licensed

Switching was no big deal at all. I had to restart a few plugins. But most of the job was done in style.css of the child theme. It was really worth it.

A very nice plugin is also the Meteor Slider  by Josh Leuze. It runs on my main page sliding through my gallery. Very cool tool!



Aspirin & Rain

Hi there!

The first video shows a rigid body simulation with the new integration of the Bullet Engine inside Blender. Now the interaction with Bullet happens right in the 3d viewport, so you do not have to switch to Blenders Game Engine anymore each time you want to create a rigid body simulation. As far as I could see there are also features like:

  • Mass calculation according to density and volume
  • Adjustable simulation speed slider. (It is more intuitive now IMHO. Prior to this you had to fiddle around with the FPS value ;) )
  • Adjustable frame interval for simulation baking

The second video shows a simple rain scene. Where ripples on the water are simulated Continue reading

A Flower In Yafaray

Hi there!

Some time ago I stepped over a tutorial at Blendercookie which explained how to create an audio-visualizer in Blender, where cubes were changing their height to the rhythm of a sound.

I recreated it and used the change of the value of the z-coordinate (not z-depth) to drive the rotation of a simple bone-chain. For each petal and stem I used one bone chain for the rig.

First I aimed to create a indoor scene with the flowers in front of a window like below:


But I had to find out that I needed a very high photon count (with photon mapping) to get a flicker-free photonmap, leading to very high render times (14 min per frame :()

Continue reading



I would like to share my latest work with you. This time I have created a cutaway of a lens.
The entire project was realized with Blender. Since I always wanted to create a cutaway of an technical object, I decided to give it a try with the new Bmesh system and the Carve-Booleans. Rendering was done in Cycles.

Cutaway! from edi on Vimeo.
The basic workflow is easy:

1. Create a mesh of your choice

Continue reading

A Living Room

This was my first dive into architectural modeling. I have created this scene over a period of 10 days in several after work sessions. The videos are showing  the basic workflow. For time sake I decided to speed the videos up by factor 5 and add some background music ;) to them. As usual all work was done with Open Source Software (Blender, Gimp and FFmpeg).



Continue reading